Mashed potatoes are such a comfort food for us! Because there are so many, delicious versions of mashed potatoes, we had a difficult time choosing one recipe for our book, The Gluten Free Table. But this one won out largely for its classic flavors and ease of preparation. Naturally GF, this mash is a terrific and versatile accompaniment to many meats and flavor combinations. So go classic and serve with a nice baked ham or try something more adventerous!
6 small to medium potatoes, Idaho or creamer variety, peeled, halved, and cut into chunks
½ cup sour cream
½ cup milk or cream, any % fat you prefer
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh chives
2 cloves garlic, crushed
½ teaspoon celery salt
Black pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the potatoes until they are almost falling apart, about 20 minutes
- Drain the potatoes and return to the pan
- Add the sour cream and milk or cream. Mash, using a masher or electric beaters, until you reach your desired consistency. You can always add more milk or cream if you like your mash creamier than the results here.
- Stir in the chopped chives, garlic, celery salt, and a bit of salt and pepper to taste, mixing well to incorporate all the seasonings.
- Serve immediately, while still warm.