Makes 4 Servings
One of the first snack replacements Jessie started making for herself after she was diagnosed with her gluten sensitivity was granola. The version we settled on here is Jessie’s bare-naked version: it has no nuts, seeds, or fruits added. We’ve offered our preferred proportions for additions as optional items below, in case you prefer to add some favorites. Just keep in mind that you may have to increase the amount of coconut oil and maple syrup to compensate for the additional fruits and nuts. As for the parfait itself, please feel free to use any seasonal fresh fruit and any flavor of yogurt you like. If dairy is an issue, feel free to substitute your favorite dairy-free yogurt here. So enjoy some freedom here!
2 cups quick-cooking gluten-free rolled oats
1/4 cup high-quality maple syrup
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 to 3/4 cup nuts of your choice (optional)
1/2 to 3/4 cup dried fruit of your choice (optional)
1/4 to 1/2 cup seeds of your choice (optional)
2 cups regular vanilla yogurt (or dairy-free vanilla yogurt)
2 cups sliced strawberries or fruit of your choice
Honey, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Combine all the granola ingredients in a medium bowl. Be sure to mix well and break up the coconut oil with your hands. The warmth of your hands while mixing should help it soften and distribute into the other ingredients evenly.
- Once the mixture seems to be evenly mixed and the oats evenly coated, spread it out in an even layer on a large greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the granola just starts to turn golden brown. It will remain slightly damp and won’t crisp up until you remove it from the oven. So, please be sure not to leave it in the oven too long, waiting for it to crisp, or it will most likely burn.
- Remove from the oven and allow the granola to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes or so.
- Once the granola has cooled, it is time to assemble the parfaits. Begin by scooping 1/4 cup of granola into the bottom of each of four serving glasses.
- Top this layer with 1/4 cup yogurt followed by 1/4 cup of fruit in each glass.
- Repeat the process with the remaining granola, yogurt, and fruit.
- Top with a drizzle of honey, if desired, and serve.